Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:26 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: '55 brake problems- help

It sounds like the master cylinder and the brake booster will also need to
be replaced/rebuilt. The master cylinder should not allow brake fluid to get
into the booster area.

The brake booster rebuild kit is available from a gentleman named Jim
Fredrick. He can be reached through information in the ad he runs in the
monthly WPC Club National publication.

Once these items are known to be functioning perfectly, the brake bleeding
should go well, if done EXACTLY as outlined in the FSM. Other than the use
of a pressure bleeder, that includes the use of a transparent jar containing
some clean fluid & a length of hose. This is so that the fluid being
expelled from each wheel cylinder can be seen, and known to be completely
free of any air bubbles whatsoever. Until this occurs, satisfactory brake
performance is not going to be possible.

Paul W.

In an email dated 4/9/2005 4:30:47 am GMT Daylight time, "Jim Poltrock"
<jtpoltrock@xxxxxxx> writes:

>Hi all-
>
>I have been working on getting my 1955 Imperial back on the road for
>the last 8 months. ?Prior to that she sat in the previous owner's
>garage for 12 or 13 years. ?I have done so much work getting her ready
>for the road but am now befuddle by a brake problem.
>
>I installed new wheel cylinders (all 6) and new front and back flexible
>brake lines as well as new shoes. ?But after bleeding the dry system
>(power, gravity and pressure) I cannot get all the air out of the
>lines. ?On close inspection I found no leaks so I decided to take the
>master cylinder off tongiht. ?Inside the brake booster I found a few
>ounces of brake fluid.
>
>The questions I have are:
>
>Where is the air coming from? ?Is the booster bad? ?Master cylinder? ?
>Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem? ?I understand the
>system on the '55 is kind of proprietary and is more difficult to
>diagnose, so any insight advice is welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jim Poltrock
>'55 sedan
>39k
>Wisteria blue/Rhapsody blue

-----------------  http://www.imperialclub.com  ----------------- This
message was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing List. Please
Administrators should be sent to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To UN-SUBSCRIBE,