Re: IML: I "Fixed" the Fan but BROKE the Switch!

Re: IML: I "Fixed" the Fan but BROKE the Switch!

Don't do anymore to your switch, and DO NOT throw it away yet. It may be rebuildable!

You are going to hate me for this, but that switch is worth more than its weight in gold. You might get lucky and find one on Ebay, but I believe that everyone else is looking for that, too.

Part of the reason that the fan wouldn't come on is because the main contact is mounted in plastic. Eventually the contact pulls away from it's mating contact due to heat, and changes in the plastic due to stress, and then it fails to connect when the buttons are pushed. I suspect that you have created some kind of short in the switch, causing the fan to be on all the time. As you say, this is okay due to your fan speed control being operational.

The most difficult part of the whole thing is the vacuum portion, but now that has been damaged. Believe it or not, YOU STILL MAY be able to send that switch out to be rebuilt. J.C. Auto does them. Check their web site. If you try to do more with it, you may cause it to become non-rebuildable.

Paul W.