Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Vinyl or paint?

>From: "jsadowski" <jsadowski@xxxxxxx>
>>I'm curious why Chrysler never painted the roof
under the vinyl top?
--- DR CHALLENGER <drchallenger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
to save money.

Dr. Challenger has it exactly right. I'll add that they usually did only minimal bodywork and seam sealing under the vinyl roof as well, since no one would ever see it.

On the fuselage Imperials, for example, no finish work
was done to hide the seams and screws for the spacer
panel that allowed the use of the smaller rear window.
Instead, extra padding was used under that part of
the vinyl roof.  There are also some seams on the
sides of the C-pillars in these years that often rust
under the vinyl roof because they were only casually
finished with a sloppy slapping of filler.  You'll
often see a fuselage Imperial with rust bubbles on the
C-pillar in a line under the vinyl top about six
inches from the top.  In fact, here's a picture of my
'71 Imperial from several years ago that shows exactly
this phenomenon:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Scott/Before6.JPG
If you look closely at the tear in the vinyl on the
top right, you can see the extra padding used to hide
the seams and screws for the spacer panel too.

All this saved time and money on the production line.
No need for "good" finishing on a roof no one would
ever see, right?

Elijah

http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/bookshelf.htm