Re: IML: '60 headlight switch removal/remove speedo for easy access

Re: IML: '60 headlight switch removal/remove speedo for easy access

They are correct about the push button. The '60 Imperial head light switch has this. You should disconnect the battery before trying to pull out the shaft.

I have found it much easier to access this switch on these cars by first removing the speedometer. On  '60 Imperials this is very easy to do, especially if the car has Auto-Pilot. Disconnecting the cable at the Auto-Pilot unit is simple, and allows the speedometer to pull forward without having to reach up under the dash to disconnect the cable. Other wires/cables and all long enough to allow access. With the speedometer removed, you can see the wiring plug-in at the switch, and it gives you a better view to see what you are doing.

The speedometer garnish moulding ring is held in place with a small set screw at the bottom (right, I think), and a clip at the top. With the set screw removed, lift up the ring from the bottom, and un hook it from the top. The rest of the removal is obvious.

Paul W.