Re: IML: 68 charging problems

If you are not sure whether it is the regulator or the alternator, take the
car into a shop and have the charging system checked.  They will check the
battery, regulator and alternator and tell you which part(s) are below
standard.

Alternators for 1960's Chrysler products are all 12-volts and come in
various amperage ratings, not watts.  Replace your alternator with an amp
rating no less than the one in the car now.  I believe the 1968 Imperial
still has the mechanical regulator - if it is, do not replace it.  The
mechanical regualtors can be "tuned" as they have points that are
adjustable.  The later electronic regulators either work or they are
garbage.  Nothing in between and nothing can be adjusted.

The 30, 37 and 46 amp alternators took the same regulator while the 59 amp
unit uased another.    The regulator regulates voltage, not amperage.

With mechanical regulators, a loss of charge can mean either the alternator
or regulator is in need of repair, while a constant charge on the alternator
gauge means a dead battery (will not take a charge).

With electronic regulators, a loss of charge means the alternator had gone,
while a constant charge on the alternator gauge means either the regulator
has gone (battery top wet due to constantly being charged) or a dead battery
(will not take a charge, but the battery top is dry).

Bill
Vancouver, BC