Re: IML: 65 Crown Speakers: 4 OHM Compatible with 8 OHM Radio???

Re: IML: 65 Crown Speakers: 4 OHM Compatible with 8 OHM Radio???

You will fry the 8 ohm radio using the 4 ohm speaker, unless you hook it up to another 4 ohm speaker in series. Two 4 ohm speakers in parallel makes 2 ohms (that will really blow up your radio). Two 4 ohm speakers in series makes 8 ohms.

My understanding is (and practical experience so far indicates) that it is okay to use an 8 ohm speaker if the radio can handle a 4 ohm speaker, but it isn't okay to do it the other way around. You might get away with a 6 ohm speaker, but that isn't a good idea either.

Having said all of that, I haven't ever known for sure what ohm speakers the radio in my '65 Imperial has. Its speakers are still the originals. I am assuming that you have established that this radio should came with an 8 ohm speaker.

Paul W.