IML: Budd - wiser, heh heh

It is true that only Imperials got the Budd system for 1969.  Why that
system was retained for a brand new body I can't imagine.  The 69s turned
out to be the most popular Imperial in many years and the brake problems
must have irritated many owners.

I have heard it said that late 69s got the Kelsey Hayes brakes.  I have also
heard that early 1970 Imperials got the Budd brakes.  I've never seen an
example of either situation.  My 70 is a very early car, built in mid-August
of 69, and it has Kelsey Hayes brakes.  How much earlier could a 70 be?
<answer -- not much>.  Has anyone ever seen a 69 with Kelsey Hayes brakes?
The 10k mile example I photographed was built in late November of 1968 so
that's not a good test case.

The Kelsey Hayes system used on 1970 Imperials (also 71 and 72 IIRC) is
completely different than the 69 Budd system.  The 70 system uses a
one-piston sliding caliper that moves on threaded pins screwed into the
knuckle.  The rotor is held to the hub by the wheel studs and those studs
are swaged to make a strong connection.  The assembly is NOT meant tobe take
apart.

AFAIK no parts interchange between the Budd and Kelsey Hayes systems.  The
spindle, caliper, rotor, and pads area all different.

It is certainly possible to swap the WHOLE Kelsey Hayes setup from a 70 to a
69 Imperial but even the 70 parts are now hard to find in good condition.  A
complete car/system would be a real find.

Pete in PA