RE: IML: 360 Crate Engines & '81 Imperial

RE: IML: 360 Crate Engines & '81 Imperial

Abe,

Years ago I bought my 360 horse 360 for a non-Imperial from Mancini Racing.
I've always been happy with their service.  However, any Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge
dealer can get the crate motors.  The A/C hardware doesn't clear the intake,
that's why they have the disclaimer.  The higher horse motors usually aren't
too happy sitting in traffic with the A/C on either.

There were some quality problems with the factory crate motors over the last
couple years.  I believe they were resolved, but I don't know for certain.
Most of the horror stories were based on the Hemi motors.  I wouldn't
necessarily recommend their 390-395 horse motors for a street cruiser
Imperial.  Depending on how you want to use the car, those motors might be a
little temperamental.   They will want higher stall converters and steeper
rear gears.

Having done the crate motor thing in one car, I actually lean toward
building a motor (or having one built).  This way the motor can be built to
the use of the car.  A nice torquey 360 would make that '81 move.  I'd
recommend building a stock bottom end, aim for around 9:1 compression, maybe
go for a pair of Edelbrock heads with one of the RPM manifolds, and one of
the smaller Comp Cams Extreme Energy cams.  Something with a healthy lift,
but lower duration.

The other option would be to start with a Magnum 360 from a '93-up Dodge
truck.  They have better heads from the factory (this is what the crate
motors are based on), and if I remember correctly 9.5:1 compression.  Change
the intake, add a Comp Magnum cam (same idea as above) and away you go.
Edelbrock offers an RPM manifold for the Magnum heads (the bolt pattern is
different than the pre-Magnum motors).  Check with Edelbrock, but their
manifold might clear the serpentine belt system (and A/C compressor) on the
truck motors.   And they use a cast aluminum bracket system that polishes up
real nice.

This is a little bit of an oversimplification, but the basic rule of thumb
on a street car is torque.  Especially a heavy street car.  You can build a
nice torquey 360 for under $5000.

By the way, that's a pretty mean looking '81.  I'm partial to black cars
myself.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron - Heading out to the garage to work on it now
'68 Barracuda Fastback - Black with early 360 crate motor, now has Edelbrock
intake and Comp Cam, it ate the MP cam.