From: Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:37:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: IML: fuel pump questions 62-63

>   Are thr pumps the same from 62-63 in all chrysler
> 413s?
>   The pump has an arm on it, what does this
>   contact? the shaft or does a rod go between the
>   arm and the shaft?

There is a rod that comes down from the cam and it is
loose.  Removal of the old pump will cause the rod to
fall further and block reinstallation of the new pump.
 This goes for all 440/413 blocks and probably many
others.

I will presume that you have your pump and want to
install it?

If so and you are having trouble inserting it, put
your finger into the hole where the actuating arm on
the pump would go.  You will feel a cylindrical,
polished & oily bar there.  You can flick the bar
upwards, and the resulting space is where the actuator
arm for the pump goes.  The bar will come down and
push against the toungue of the pump, actuating it off
of a lobe on the camshaft (above).

How to keep that thing up and against the cam while
you insert the pump?  There is a threaded plug in the
engine skirt under the place where the fuel pump bolts
in.  Remove that and the dowel will drop out.  Push it
back in, being careful not to bobble it and drop it
out and down into the oil pan.  I used a screwdever
inserted through the plug-hole to hold the dowel in
place and then inserted the pump.  The FSM that's on
the website will have more info - don't forget to read
up when you hit a wall.

Kenyon Wills