IML: Trip to Wildcat Motors

I drove down and back to Wildcat Motors in beautiful sandy, OR yesterday.

My 1969 LeBaron has the DS front fender from a 1970 Imperial on it, presumably due to some accident repair in its past. As a Christmas present, my wife agreed that I should try to find the correct fender for the car. I looked around various places and found one in "good" condition at Wildcat for $375. I initially balked at the price, but it was what I wanted and was not too far away (380 miles). I also needed the trim and cornering light so the price went to $400. I sent them a deposit for $200 in mid January and finally had the time and acceptable weather to get it yesterday.

If this fender is in good condition, I would not want to see one in less than good condition. There are nicks and scratches and dings all over it with surface rust and a fair size dent at the front near the end of the trim piece. You can see where the original trim piece was removed from this fender because there is a series of short rusty scratches under the trim. However, at least I have the correct fender for my car and can think about getting it into useable condition and installing it. It could be worse. Also, these fenders are beasts. I decided to drive my 1999 Intrepid to pick up the fender since it needed a good drive after the winter. I pulled the passenger seat out in preparation. My car has the fold down rear seats and the fender only just fit. It is about 6'4" long and 30" high and 15-16" deep and sharp and awkward. It bit me in the ear and blood flowed profusely. Blood sacrifice, maybe it will work.

What is involved in replacing a fender and are there any tricks?

Also, after this is done, I will have what appears from the outside to be a very very very good (using Wildcat category) DS fender for a 1970 Imperial if anyone is interested.

I did get to spend some time in the Wildcat yard while the trim and cornering light were being pulled for me. They do not have very many Imperials, I would guess about 20 or less and many have few parts remaining. There was a very nice looking 1971 Lebaron Coup away from the crowd which said sold on it. The person I was working with said that the engine and trans were gone, but everything else was in good condition. Maybe the people who pull the engine and trans from Imperials are actually doing some good since at least these cars will not be used in Demo Derbys and may be purchased as rolling chassies needing a simple power train replacement or used as good parts cars!

The wrecking yard is a sad place. It points to the motality of all of us and life's uncertainty. The 1969 LeBaron coupe from which the trim and cornering light were pulled was sitting on top of a 1970? 4 door LeBaron. The 69 deserved to be in the wrecking yard. it had been hit on the passenger side very hard and was pushed in from the front of the door all the way to the rear wheel. In the middle of the impact the rocker panel was rolled up and the rear edge of the door was probably pushed in two feet!

There was a mid 60's Imperial which had been covered in flower pattern wallpaper. The people who had done it had obviously done a good job since the wallpaper was still in pretty good shape even after sitting in the yard for some time. It was both funny and sad at the same time.   Many cars in this yard are stacked. Someone made a comment about this damaging the glass. All of the Imperials stored in this way which had glass had the glass in tact. I was really impressed that you could put one of these cars on top of another one and not even pop out the glass. Tough cars.

Fred Joslin