From: "Hall, David"
Subject: IML: Optimal Engine Temperatures
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:04:09 -0400

I?ve heard some conflicting opinions among friends regarding the desired operating temperature of big blocks, in my case the 440 in my 73 Imperial Lebaron [which hasn?t run in awhile, as noted by the moniker below].

I?ve heard from some folk that a cooler temperature is better for the long term health of the motor, cooler defined as 120 degrees.  These types say that such a cool temperature, for one thing, prevents vapor lock. Others disagree, saying that that is too cold and you?re not allowing the engine to perform at the temperature it was designed for.  They say that a range in the 200 degree area [aka mid range on the temp gauge, give or take] is best.

I don?t know what the best temperature is as I haven?t driven my car for any length of time in over 5 years.  So I?d thought I?d ask here as I do need to replace my thermostat [To Do Item number 36 of 148, and counting].

Does any one have any suggestions and or opinion on this?  Would love to hear it, thanks.

Dave Hall

1973 Imperial LeBaron

?The Sleeping Giant?

Fred Joslin