Re: IML: 1966 Coupe trim code decoding

Buckets are more like 45/45 (with the missing 10% devoted to the center
console. 50/50 bench seats are like two bucket seats that are conjoined in
the middle. But they also have individual tracks and motors for each half of
the split-bench seat.

The middle "9" does indeed decode to a bench seat for 1966 (you would doubt
Bill?!), so maybe it's a 5 or a 3? Or maybe they mis-stamped the data plate.
It did happen. Presumably the line workers knew enough to put buckets into a
Crown Coupe (then again...). Actually, since there was no "L" for 1966, I'm
curious where this fender tag came from! Does the VIN match yours? Perhaps
it was a late '65 trim code. What's the build date? As Bill noted, M9L is a
legitimate 1965 code for Black & Gold leather (with vinyl trim) in a Medium
price line (i.e., Crown). If you've never seen this upholstery color, the
bolsters are black and the inserts are black with a gold "wash" or burnished
effect on the surface. With wear or fading, it might just look like an
all-black interior.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon