Re: IML: Vinyl Tops; was re: Question of the Day

Re: IML: Vinyl Tops; was re: Question of the Day

So what treatments to the vinyl top should one use.  My vinyl top is in excellent condition.  After all it was parked in a barn for 30 years covered up.  So what does the group use/recommend to preserve the top??

Regards Peter Thielman - Napanee, ON Canada - 1971 LeBaron 4door Htop

Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
jsadowski <jsadowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
If you leave the vinyl top off, you'll wind up with a Crown. Also, keep in mind that it took 37 years for the roof to get the way it is with "normal" care. Now that it will get more pampering, it should never have another problem.
I'll agree with that.  My '70, which has always been garaged, shows no evidence of rust under the top.

On the other hand, my '71, which was never garaged until the past five years, continues to have rust problems under the vinyl top.

I believe that better prep work when repairing the rust and replacing the vinyl top will prevent future rust issues.  I think the glue is also a factor -- certain types of contact cement tend to absorb and hold moisture.

All in all, it should be possible to properly repair rust, prep the roof, replace the top, and not have future rust problems.

Elijah