Re: IML: Vinyl Tops

From: Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Vinyl Tops; was re: Question of the Day

On the other hand, my '71, which was never garaged until the past five years, continues to have rust problems under the vinyl top.

I believe that better prep work when repairing the rust and replacing the
vinyl top will prevent future rust issues. I think the glue is also a factor
-- certain types of contact cement tend to absorb and hold moisture.

All in all, it should be possible to properly repair rust, prep the roof, replace
the top, and not have future rust problems.

I'm not a big fan of vinyl tops, and I tend to think that they were very poorly implemented by the factories, as they always seem to cause rust. If i had the money, I'd turn my Crown into a 'smooth-top'. I know there's rust under there though, and it's a new-ish top.

If I were going to put a new vinyl roof on a car, I'd want to cover the repaired roof with something like marine laquer first, in an attemot to prevent future rusting. The marine industry has developed some pretty good rust preventatives over the years.
-Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT