From: Karl <karlsmail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 2 May 2006 21:03:34 -0700
Subject: RE: IML: advice /opinion about removal of front fender unit

On every restore I have done (Ford and Chevrolet) I removed the inner fender with the fender.  The reason was after cleaning and reassembly you can paint the bolts at the same time.  Now I just removed and replaced the front fenders on my 1960 Imperial.  There are studs I have never seen before in the fenders.  I had to leave the radiator support bolted to the frame and remove the fenders with the outer fender at the same time.  The outer fender is between the inner fender and the radiator support.  Take a look and make sure it is not the same on the later model.
Karl
1960 Imperial Custom 4 Door

I am getting close to having the 64 conv repainted. I am debating on removing the whole front end piece so I can get in and paint the firewall (body color?). It would also make it easier for me to detail the front end and repaint the motor, etc. What I am questioning is the difficulty in it's removal. Other the usual unbolting, removing the hood and bumper, do I need to remove the wheelwells from the fenders or will it lift off as is so I can remove them later or do I completly remove them first? If either way is an option I would think that when I reinstall the fenders it should be with the wheelwells attached as to prevent possible scratching?
Opinions and/or advice welcome!
Greg

PS:This site is fantastic! For a new guy with Imperials it has been a blessing!
     Thank you