Re: IML: To custom or not to custom?

Sorry to break the news, but there is no such things as "numbers matching"
for any pre-1968 Mopar product.   Chrysler did not start stamping the VIN on
the engine, transmission or body until sometime during 1968.  So there is no
way to verify that either the engine or the transmission are the same units
that were installed at the factory.   The body has the Shippig Order Number
stamped on it and not thr VIN, as well..  Even the data tag under the hood
did not have the VIN on it until 1969, although it had the SON..

All you can do is to veridy that the engine was asssembled one to three
months before the car was assembled.  That is about as close as you can get.

The build record (1930 through 1970) shows both the serial number and the
shipping order number, so you can verufy both those items.   Sometime around
1959 Chrysler stopped recording the engine number on the build record, so
the engine can verified with the build record pior to 1958-60.

And when it comes to Canadian-built cars, the situation is worse.  There are
no build records extant and prior to 1966 no data tags.   So, no shipping
oder numbers on the body and the engine number did not have a date of
assembly prior to 1966, as well.   Which is of no consequence to Imperial
owners as prior to 1981, Chrysler of Canada built Imperials only during the
1931-36 era.

Bill
Vancouver, BC