From: Elijah Scott <imperial1971@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thu, 18 May 2006 05:48:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: IML: odd vaccum-related behavior (82 Imperial)

Nat Hall <nathall@arno.com> wrote:
I haven't had a chance yet to play with finding out why my carb-converted '82 isn't passing the smog test, but in the meantime I've noticed something very odd. On hard acceleration, like on a freeway on-ramp with almost-full-throttle to full-throttle acceleration, if my A/C is on blowing out the dash panel vents, air flow direction will temporarily switch to blow exclusively from the floor vents (isn't this the "default" position?). Is this a result of a vaccum leak somewhere? If so, could this be a cause of my emissions test failure?
You may well have found the cause of your emissions test failure. The position of the vents is controlled by engine vacuum -- so if the air goes from the dash vents to the floor vents when you hit the gas, there is definitely a vacuum leak.

Tracking this down will likely be an exciting exercise in frustration.  :o)  You are most definitely going to need a shop manual with a schematic of the vacuum lines.

Or you may get lucky and spot it right away on a visual inspection.  I would start with the simple stuff and get under the hood and look at every vacuum hose and connection that you can see.

Good luck!

Elijah

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengerâs low PC-to-Phone call rates.