Re: IML: odd vaccum-related behavior (82 Imperial)

Having read many Mopar Muscle articles about tuning engines for the quarter mile, I believe that there is no engine vacuum at WOT (wide open throttle). The engine is allowed to pull as much air in as it wants, so there is no pressure differential. I would suggest that what you observe is what should happen at very low vacuum conditions.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nat Hall"
Subject: IML: odd vaccum-related behavior (82 Imperial)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:27:55 -0700

I haven't had a chance yet to play with finding out why my carb-converted
'82 isn't passing the smog test, but in the meantime I've noticed something
very odd.

On hard acceleration, like on a freeway on-ramp with almost-full-throttle
to full-throttle acceleration, if my A/C is on blowing out the dash panel
vents, air flow direction will temporarily switch to blow exclusively from
the floor vents (isn't this the "default" position?). Since the air flow
direction of the climate control system is a vaccum assisted/controlled
system, it seems to me like this is a result of a lack of vaccum. This is
reproducable 100% of the time and has happened many times over the last
week. As soon as my desired cruising speed is reached, and I ease off the
accelerator, the airflow direction will quickly return to the dash vents. I
have to believe this is not normal.

Is this a result of a vaccum leak somewhere? If so, could this be a cause
of my emissions test failure?

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe