Re: IML: Manifold Leak 64 413

Good point, James, though I did not consider it when looking at a freshly rebuilt engine.  Whoever bolted those manifolds on should have checked for proper heat riser operation.

Jay, if your car has dual exhaust and the driver's side pipe puts out noticeably more pressure than the other when the engine is at operating temperature, then this is definitely the case.  You can also observe the valve to see if it changes position from the time you cold start until it's warmed up.

Happy motoring,

David

James carter <zatoichi1964@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
i had that problem. there is a flap in heat riser on mine that rusted shut. kind of like a choke on the carb. this causes the manifold to develop cracks. better than warping the head.