RE: IML: '82 oil pressure issues

My guess is that your idle speed is set too low, and your oil pressure is
right at the threshold of triggering the oil pressure warning sender (which
is probably set to go on at about 7 PSI). I am amazed that putting thicker
oil in it made no difference - I thought you previously had 10W30 in it,
there should have been a quick and noticeable improvement in oil pressure
when you switched to 20W50.  I can't explain it, unless your slow idle
(causing rough idling) is shaking things so bad that the oil pressure
sending unit wire is getting tapped on something that is grounded - inspect
that wire and make sure it can't touch anything.  Anything that grounds that
wire will bring on the warning light.

If you can find nothing like that, and your idle speed is pretty close to
700-750 RPM, I think you need to beg, borrow or steal a real oil pressure
test gauge, and see what you've got there, hot engine, at idle.  We'd like
to hear you've got 30 PSI or better, but even 15 is good enough to keep
driving it for a while.

If you have a tachometer, check your idle speed. If the engine is tired, it
probably needs to idle at 700 RPM in drive, AC on, to avoid a shaky idle.

None of this sounds like impending doom to me - cars run for years and years
with tired engines - usually something else will cause you to rebuild it -
like a burnt valve causing a persistent miss, long before a bearing spins.
Just listen to it - if you don't hear any loud knocking when you first start
it (first few turns on the crank), your main bearings are not about to let
go, and if you don't hear any rapping on the overrun (high rpm, lift off the
gas) your rod bearings are not about to let a rod poke through the block. On
the other hand, if you do hear such noises, pay attention - the tow truck is
circling you!

Dick Benjamin