Re: IML: e mail contact for Bill Watson, W Watson Vancouver re Fedco num

Re: IML: e mail contact for Bill Watson, W Watson Vancouver re Fedco numbers

The series 70, model G, which succeeded the 1924-25 series 70, model B, had
serial numbers from WY-580-P to WD-999-D and then PW-000-P to PP-930-Y.
They apparently skipped PW-000-W.   The FEDCO system used letters to
represent numbers, and Chrysler used -

W-P-C-H-R-Y-S-L-E-D
0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

(Chrysler also used A, B, F, G, J, K, KK, N, O, and Z but they do not
convert to numbers.  They are just letters of the alphabet.)

Thus the serial numbers ran from 058,001 to 099,999 and then 100,001 to
119,305, with no 100,000.

The series 70, model G, was built for model years 1926 and early 1927, with
the switch to 1927 occuring in July, 1926, a serial number PP-454-R, or
114,544.   It was then succeeded by the Finer 70, model G, in September,
1926, which ran from PP-930-S to PS-287-D  (119,206 to 162,879).   The last
model G was built in October, 1927.

The number on your car, PH-660-H converts to 136,603 which makes it a 1927
Finer 70, model G.

The model G used the same 112.75" wheelbase at the model B, but used a
218.6-cid engine (3.125" bore and 4.75" stroke) vs the model B with
201.5-cid (3" stroke and 4.75" stroke).  Compression ratio of the model G
was 4.8:1 with a horsepower rating of 68 bhp at 3000 rpm.

Fisher Body was Chrysler's main body supplier to the end of the 1926 model
year.  Chrysler purchased a plant on Kercheval Avenue in Detroit in 1926 and
began making their own bodies, generally coupes and sedans.  Chrysler also
bought bodies from Budd, Hayes, Briggs, Murray, and Mullen Heintz.  These
are bodies for mass-produced models and not the semi-custom and custom
models available on the Imperial chassis by such ftrms as Locke, Derham,
Dietrich, LeBaron, and Waterhouse.  Of course, chassis were shipped to other
countries upon which local body builders placed their creations.

All series 70 (model G) and its successor, series 72, model J, used Fisher
bodies.  Although the 1926 Imperial model 80 used Fisher bodies, it seems
the 1927 Imperial relied upon Chrysler-built bodies for the most part.

As for the series 70 5-window coupe being the same as the one fitted to the
series 80 Imperial, I cannot say for certain, but I am doubtful.    The
series 70 was on a 112.75" wheelbase while the Imperial came in three
sizes - 120", 127" and 133".   The Imperial was also wider than the 70.   As
the bodies were both built by Fisher, they may have shared some parts,
though.   These bodies were sheet steel on wooden frames, by the way, as
Fisher would be about the last mass production body maker to switch to all
steel (GM's A and B bodies in 1937).

But, getting back to your main question, yes that Chrysler is a 1927 Finer
70, model G, while the engine may very well be the original unit.   The
engine number is above G-151500, which is supposed to be the beginning
engine number for the Finer 70 series.

Bill
Vancouver, BC.