Re: IML: Imperial or Chrysler Imperial?

Cars from 1981 and on are easy to figure out    The second digit on the VIN
is the car make while the 5th digit shows the car line in the early 1980's
and after that the car body..

The 1981-83 Imperials had "A" for the car make and not "C",. which was for
the Chrysker car make.   Thus the 1981-83 Imperials are Imperials, and not
Chrysler Imperials.   The 5th digit was "Y", for the Imperial car line.   .

The 1990-93 Imperials had "C" for the car make, and thus are Chrysler
Imperials.   The 5th digit was "Y",   for the car body, which was shared
with the Chrysler Fifth Avenue.  The 6th digit is for the series, with the
Chrysler Imperial using "6" and the Chrysler Fifth Avenue a "5".

Hoever, the same cannot be said for the pre-1981 VIN.  The first digit on
the 1960-1980 VIN was for the car line but there was no digit for the car
make.  For example, 1979 Chrysler had three car lines, LeBaron (F), Cordoba
(S) and Newport/New Yorker (T).    Those three letters were used as the
first digit in the VIN but there was nothing ekse to denote the car make was
Chrysler.   And thus Chrysler could use "Y" for the 1958-70 Imperial and
1971-73 Imperial by Chrysler.   Just as Dodge used "W" to denote Coronet,
Monaco and Charger from 1965 through 1978.   And "X" was used for Charger,
Magnum and Mirada.   Just have to be careful as to the year of the vehicle.

Bill
Vancouver, BC