Re: IML: Imperial or Chrysler Imperial?

The Pentastar was the emblem of the Chrysler Corporation, not the Chrysler
car line. It represented all Mopars (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler and Imperial,
as well as their captive brands like Sunbeam in the late 1960s, etc.) from
early MY1963 until shortly after the DaimlerChrysler "merger" in 2000, when
it was phased out as supplies of parts bearing the logo were used up. There
is no current corporate logo, just the DaimlerChrysler type in one of the
corporate fonts that the former Daimler-Benz had custom-designed in the
1990s (which is called, believe it or not, "Corporate").

Oddly, the Chrysler car line had no consistent logo (a stylized C was used
on some years) even though Dodge Division had its tri-star and Imperial had
its various eagles. It wasn't until they resurrected the prewar gold seal
(now on a winged badge) around 1999 that Chrysler cars actually had a brand
logo.

The corporate Pentastar emblem on the lower right front fender was used from
1963 through the first few weeks of production for MY1972, and on both front
fenders of some 1990s models such as the first-generation Jeep Grand
Cherokees (first in chrome, and then molded into the plastic lower-body
cladding). This was probably a way of Chrysler reinforcing its ownership of
the Jeep brand.

Imperial Division was a division "on paper" only. There was no actual
corporate entity, and I believe no Imperial-only dealers. It was enveloped
in the Chrysler-Plymouth Division (almost all Chrysler dealers were also
Plymouth dealers). But as a brand or marque, Imperials are not
Chrysler-brand models from 1955 to 1983, even though Mother Mopar did her
best to muddy the name and perception (oh, that '71-73 badge!). 1990s
models, as many have already pointed out, were models sold within the
Chrysler brand.

Because of this, a lot of cars out there which should have been titled as
Imperials were originally registered as Chryslers (often ignorant dealers
did this), and there have numerous stories here for years of how difficult
it can be to get your local DMV to correct it. My DMV used to reject my
renewal every year because my proof-of-insurance card said "Chrysler
Imperial" and the registration correctly says "Imperial." I finally just
asked my insurer to fix my cards and never had a problem after that.

And nearly all non-Mopar parts catalogs, etc., lump the Imperials into the
Chrysler section, even though Dodges and Plymouths are kept separate. Does
anyone see the one ad per month in Hemmings under "Imperial" or just look at
the 30 listed under "Chrysler?" Like I said, muddy.

This was not the only time this happened. Valiant was originally its own
marque in 1960, but by 1962 it was merged into Plymouth. And yet its sister,
the Lancer, was a Dodge from day one. You have to wonder what the logic
was...

Tell a non-car-person you have an Imperial and a lot of them will say either
"a what?" or "you mean a Chrysler Imperial?" It's up to you how long an
answer you want to give. If they're old-car people and driving a
Continental, you can just smile and say "yes, like a Ford Lincoln."

Chris in LA
67 Imperial Crown
78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Salon