RE: Imperial or Chrysler Imperial? was RE: IML:Now Its Heads & Gaskets,

RE: Imperial or Chrysler Imperial? was RE: IML:Now Its Heads & Gaskets, not Exhaust Manifold What Year?

Thanks for the breakdown, I understand now.

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 8:05 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Imperial or Chrysler Imperial? was RE: IML:Now Its Heads & Gaskets, not Exhaust Manifold What Year?

"Hardrick, Brian" <HardrickBG@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Please take me to school on that subject regarding the history of this
car! I have heard on several occasions that there is no such thing as a
Chrysler Imperial

There are Chrysler Imperials, and there are Imperials.  The short answer is that Chrysler Imperials were produced from 1926 to 1954.  Starting in 1955, Imperial was considered a separate division (just like Dodge, DeSoto, Plymouth, and Chrysler (the car brand, not the corporation)), and had its own model lineup each year (i.e. Imperial Custom, Imperial Crown, and Imperial LeBaron).

Chrysler's own advertising was often inconsistent during the '55-'75 years.  Some ads state "Imperial Division," while others still call it a Chrysler Imperial.  They seemed to push Imperial as a brand pretty strongly until 1971, when a small "by Chrysler" badge was slapped on the trunk beneath the Imperial badge.  This "by Chrysler" badge appeared on SOME 1971-1973 Imperials, but not all (I know of original cars from this time period that did not come with this badge, while both of my '71 Imperials did have it from the factory).  The "by Chrysler" badge was dropped for '74 and '75.  Go figure.

I would say that all '55 to '75 Imperials are Imperials, NOT Chrysler Imperials.  The VIN designations for these years support that claim.

Thanks,

Elijah

Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.