Re: IML: transmission woes

A couple people wrote in today with transmission woes, which before I go any further I have to preface with a couple things....first, any advice I give applies to 62 and later aluminum torqueflites as I have no experience with the older ones. Secondly, I cant actually see your car from here no matter how hard I squint so this is only advice based on practical experience , your actual transmission problems may vary.

Someone had no reverse...BEFORE you get a rebuild and all that, find a shop that is well versed on these transmissions and have them drop the pan and see if the low reverse band has broken, or the low reverse servo has flipped over in its bore or if the band anchor has came out. One thing I didnt catch in the initial email was if manual low still worked or not, often times people seldom put their car in manual low and never check that in the diagnosis. If...if mind you...the low reverse band or servo has failed and the rest of the trans is intact, that would give you a no reverse condition.

The other item was a leak from the rear yoke, the slip yoke for the front u joint , if I read correctly. I believe the yoke has a plug inside of it, similar to a freeze plug, that may be leaking. Normally there is not a lot of fluid in the rear of the trans, the tailshaft housing doesnt have much back there that requires oil under pressure except the governor and the rear output bearing just gets splash oil, there is a drain to allow whatever oil that gets back there to go back to the pan. So if the transmission oil isnt coming from around the rear seal but it is leaking from the yoke itself, check the yoke for a disc type plug inside of it.

Hope this helps your mechanic

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe