Re: IML: Imperial Expeditionary Farce - Brakes

Re: IML: Imperial Expeditionary Farce - Brakes

Does the '61 have the Lockheed brakes? I experienced a similar problem with my '62, and what was happening was that the brake pad was delaminating from the brake shoe, and getting stuck between the other shoe and the drum. This could cause an extremely strong wheel lock situation, though it only seemed to happen at low speeds - if it had happened at high speed it would've been a nightmare. It happened repeatedly, I started carrying a spare set of brake shoes all the time. It at least used to be possible to buy riveted shoes, instead of glued shoes - that ought to solve the problem, too.

If the brake is dragging, be careful. This can lead to building up enough heat to boil your brake fluid, which will cause sudden loss of all braking power.
  Good luck.
       -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT