Re: IML: Coolong issues

From: "JAY D'ANGELO" <cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: Cooling Issues

Here in Las Vegas, the summer temperatures routinely reach 115 degrees.
When I drive my 64 convertible, I usually don't have any problems. The temp
gauge will go to 3/4 and pretty much stay there.  This is wtithout the AC
on.However, if I do some real slow driving, like bumper to bumper strip
cruising or in a parade (which I do a few times a year), it pegs out and the
car starts pinging until I can get some air flow going.

I had some similar problems with my '62 years ago, running in very hot weather with the AC on.

I expect your factory alternator can handle the draw from the fans - it's built toi manage the draw from all four power window motors at once, for example. I'd just put in the fan or fans and keep an eye on the gauge to see how it works. If you're running in discharge, you can deal with alternator replacement then. If there are any armature / auto electric shops locally, they can set you up with higher amperage easily enough. I had an auxiliary electric fan in my '77 LTD Police Interceptor, which was a real roaster, and was very happy with the results.

If your radiator fan freewheels after shutting the car off, and the engine and outside temp are hot, then the fan clutch is shot. Replace that, and it might solve the problem by itself.
     -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT