Re: IML: Imperial or Not?

As an owner of a 1983 Imperial, I would say, yes, it is synonymous with
luxury, early 1980's-style.  The Imperial from the previous thirty years
just would not have appealed to the car buyers of that era.   And the same
applies to the 1990's Imperial.  Neither have anything to be ashamed of as
far as luxury and class go.

Not all Imperials were luxury vehicles, by the way.  The 1938-39 Imperials,
for example, were the lowest-priced eight cylinder Chryslers and were
cheaper than the New Yorker.  In the late 1930's, while the Imperial was the
bottom of the eight cylinder line, the Custom Imperial was at the top -
luxurious models doing battle against the likes of the LWB Packard and
Cadillac eights.

For 1940 the series below the New Yorker became the Traveler followed by
another rename, Saratoga, in 1941. The 1939-40 Saratoga was priced above the
New Yorker and was replaced by the Crown Imperial Special, based on the New
Yorker town sedan, for 1941.  After the war, the Imperial again became the
best Chrysler Corporation offered in a regular-sized car with the Crown
Imperial at the very top.

If you believe the 1981-83 and 1990-93 Imperials do not live up to the name
of the 1950's to 1970's Imperials, trust me, even they pale against the
Custom Imperial Eights of 1931-33 with their custom-built bodies.  .

So, what makes an Imperial, an Imperial?   The name, of course.

Bill
Vancouver, BC