Re: IML: '83 EFI Stumbles

Leo, My 81 still has the original exhaust system, including all three cats, with over 160,000 miles on it and is the most powerful of all the 80's Imps I have had. In California we cannot remove the pre-cats for smog reasons. I know people that have removed them, gutted out the insides and welded them back into the system so the visual inspection here in California will pass. I know there is no problem with removing then in regards to how the car runs. Bob ----- Original Message ----- From: "Leo Heligas" <llhelig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: IML: '83 EFI Stumbles

Rob,
What would happen if I just removed the front Cat? If I remember correctly. this has been going on (the stumbling) ever since I bought the car in 1990. I will also check out the EGR valve.
Leo
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob P" <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 6:12 PM

Funny, I have an EFI car, but when I read this post the things I thought of were not EFI related. Isn't this the sign of a sticky EGR? I don't have my FSM here and I can't remember. I also think it may be a sign of a clogged cat. These cars had a decent number of catlytic converter problems because I think those little "pre" cats at the front clogged pretty easily, especially if you ran one rich. Just some thoughts. Good luck and welcome back Leo, stay well.

Rob