On engine noises.... knocks, etc....

Brooks You are so right! when I was a mechanic in the 60"s SHELL gas was the worst and in deed we did use Trans. fluid and even today I do it once a year just to clean the top engine area , but I use water now  Not as fast as tran. fluid but just as good ( must watch out for Tree huggers now) Remember when you could buy a water injection  to increase power from pep-boys?? In WW11 the P-51 were water injected.

-------Original Message-------

Date: Saturday, January 12, 2002 08:15:27
Subject: IML: On engine noises.... knocks, etc....

Sometimes, a carbon knock will sound just like a rod knock. It will
sound like it's ready to throw a rod. I can't even count how many times
I have fixed this with about half a bottle of transmission fluid.

Start the engine; remove the air cleaner; rev the engine up to about
2500 rpm and start slowly pouring the transmission fluid down the
carburetor throat. Don't let the engine die. (if it does, you might
have to pull & clean the plugs, then resume the procedure). Pour the
xmf fast enough to lug the engine down.

Voila -- no more knock. Gone for good. This apparently happens when a
little piece of carbon breaks off inside one of the cylinders or
something..... but I've fixed 'em numerous times this way when I thought
I had lost a rod bearing.

--Brooks in Dallas