From: DAVID MORRISON <drmcross@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 5:25 PM
Subject: IML: 1981 vs 82-83

I am in process of purchasing a 1981 (Nightwatch blue with white leather) to
replace my 1982 FS.

As the first year in the three year production line, has anyone found the
1981 to be inherently less reliable (ok, more unreliable) than the later
versions?  I know Chrysler addressed rusting trunk lids midway through 1981
production, but it seems the mechanicals, electrical and bodywork were
virtually unchanged from one production year to next.  Radios and colors
seem primary differences.

Since 1981 accounts for 70% of Imperial coupes made, it is hard to determine
just from postings whether Chrysler learned from experience and made hidden
improvements.  So, for those of you with a 1981 and 1982-83, any feelings
that the first year is more trouble-prone?  Anything else I should be
concerned about in making this change?

Dave Morrison
1982 FS