Power antenna retraction suggestion

I would suggest extending the antenna completely and
checking for burrs or corrosion that would prevent it
from retracting.  The symptoms that cause it to not
retract could affect extension, too.

The antenna on my 196o goes up really high in the air,
about 2 feet past what modern car antennas do.  If all
segments don't appear to be similar in length except
the bottom one, the one that is shorter may be the
culprit.

The shade-tree mechanic in me would then be tempted to
rub some penetrating lubricant on the thing and then
run it up and down.  Remember that any lubricant that
goes in may come back out on subsequent operation,
attracting dust and dirt.  Household wax might be a
good thought, but I have not done this before.

If the thing won't respond that way, I'd go to trying
to "assist" the motor - forcing it, if you will.  Be
carful and don't break it, though!

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious