brake terminology

Yvon & Henri wrote:
> Sorry, for the confusion. I did not know that the brakes on a drum brake
> were called linings instead of pads.

Both can be called linings, though traditionally this is reserved for drum
brakes because long ago you could replace the friction material and re-use
the same metal backing.

The simplest correct terms are "brake shoes" for drums and "brake pads" for
discs. And the discs themselves can also be called "rotors."

Chris in LA