In praise of Skinned Knuckles Magazine

I've written to praise this magazine a few times previously; the current
issue makes me repeat myself.  The January 2002 issue has:

1.  A clear and accurate discussion of intake manifold designs as related to
firing order and crankshaft design.  How many are aware that there are
right-handed and left-handed crankshaft designs?  I'm not talking about
direction of rotation, but rather about phasing of the cylinders and the
firing order, and it's relation to the length of intake runners etc.  While
this is slanted toward older cars, the scientific principles involved
haven't changed lately.

2. A very complete, scientifically accurate,  and readable explanation of
the reasons for gum formation in gasoline, of particular interest to those
of us who sometimes let our cars sit for months without driving them.
Different components used in modern gasoline are discussed, and suggestions
made for avoiding the problems caused by gum formation.

3. A well researched and physically correct discussion of what happens when
you put 12 volts to a 6 volt starter, with a carefully designed and executed
test of starter torque, cranking speed, no load speed, current draw and
power consumption.  This is written by a knowledgeable person with an
engineering background, who is also an articulate writer, and a stickler for
careful conclusions.

These are 3 of about 10 interesting articles in this month's magazine.  This
magazine is thin, with no color, printed on cheap newsprint, with very
little advertising (and that is carefully screened by the staff for accuracy
and value), and it is aimed at the technically curious hands-on
do-it-yourself type restorer.  The editor is a retired engineer; you can
tell!    Every issue has information I can use - I think the rest of you
will agree.

If I've convinced you, email to SKpubs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and sign up!  It costs
$22 per year.

(No, I don't get a commission!)