blue highways

> even the late fifties.  As someone who has chosen to
> drive many of the old
> blue highways of Texas, finding them a lot more
> interesting and satisfying
> for non-essential driving, as you get to be so much
> closer to the farms and
> small towns dotted all around, I maintain that these
> cars are at their best
> on such roads.  Of course, these roads are

I concur on all points, Hugh!  When I used to drive
back and forth from Albany, NY to Rochester, more
often than not I took rts 5 and 20 and stayed off the
NY state Thruway.  Sure, it took me an extra hour, but
the scenery was fantastic and there was always
something new to be seen in the small towns along the
way.

Blue highways are best in rural areas...near
civilization its best to stick to the superhighways,
or you won't make _any_ time at all.   But out in the
boondocks, I can tick along about 60 per in old
Silver, and it just purrs.  I've got a trip planned in
march to visit some friends in Ohio; 500 miles each
way, and I've decided to take rt 50 through west
Virginia and the Appalachian highway through southern
Ohio.  We'll see how the 440 handles those hills.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

'Tis Christmas again
Have a happy holiday