Cost of Budd to Supra Conversion

Machining costs are high, at least around here.  Every
place I went to charged $75 per hour for the work.  I
did not question them as to how it needed to be set up
or anything like that; presuming that anyone who would
attempt this on their own would take it to a shop that
would know how to set the parts up properly for the
required operations.  Also, remember there were two
machining ops per side- one to grind down the hub, and
one to enlarge the rotor hole.  This second operation
will need to be done whenever a rotor is repaced, but
that should be very seldom, and in any case is
certainly the easier of the two operations.

If you can do machining yourself at your college,
Dimitrious, by all means go for it!  The conversion
will be very inexpensive for you, then.

> Mike, the $100 per side for the hubs sounds a bit
> steep.  For this
> relatively simple job, I would think that $20 per
> side would be enough.  I
> can't believe it will take them much more than half
> an hour per side,
> unless it needs to be ground, or the lathe
> installation requires some set
> up time.  Can you elaborate a bit better why they
> charged you that much?

> > > The URL is:
> > >
> > > www.angelfire.com/geek/ottotheresurrector
> > >
> > > Click on the picture of the brake rotor near the
> > > centre of the page to get to the discussion and
> > > pictures of the conversion.
> >
> > > --Mike Pittinaro

=====
--Mike Pittinaro