VIN # De-Code Help.

The majority of published production figures for Chrysler Corporation
vehicles includes American and Canadian plants.  The 4-door sedan was built
in Canada and not in the U.S., which is why the production figures are
listed, but no prices are given in the guide.

If you add up the production figures, a total of 128,921 Chryslers were
built in 1962.  But if checked the annual production figures published in
"Ward's", "Automotive News", or "Automotive Industries", a total of 118,539
1962 Chryslers were built in the U.S.  The difference, 10,382, were built in
Canada.

Had the VIN been 82291xxxxx, the car would be a Canadian-built Chrysler
Saratoga, which came as 4-door sedan, 2-door hardtop or 4-door hardtop - no
convertible.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

.

> Chris decoded it perfectly,
> '62 Chrysler 300
> Being a 4dr, it's not a letter car -- power would have been a 383, 413 or
> 426
> Interesting - while the book I'm looking at mentions sedan & hdtp being
> built the same book only lists hdtp in the price guide
> Production: Sedan = 1,801, Hardtop = 10,030
> Red interior would be: 315 - cloth/vinyl, 415 - vinyl, 455 - leather
> Paint is ZZ (Oyster White)
>
> Based on a book published in 1990, a parts car is worth $200
>
> If it truely is abandoned I'd say grab any good parts and let the rest rot
> (based on how bad it sounds)
>
> >From: "Mike & Christine Trettin" <mtrettin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Hi Steve,
> >
> >I will take a stab at it...decoding is always fun ;-)
> >8 means it is a Chrysler
> >2 means it was the second series, which was the 300
> >3 means it was made in Detroit
> >158029 is the car's production number with the production numbers
starting
> >at 100001.
> >
> >I hope that helps...and that I decoded correctly??!!
> >
> >As far as the value of the parts and what the car as a whole is worth,
> >someone else will have to field those questions.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Chris Trettin
> >1956 Imperial sedan

The