breaking torsion bars

Dear Jim,

Apparently your Dad and my stepfather went to the same "school."  He sold
Pontiacs in the 60s and that was one of the things that were said about
Chryslers at that time-- that the torsion bars will break.  Therefore
they're not safe, therefore buy my ______ instead.

However, as several people on this list pointed out to me, torsion bars
could & did break.  So the story is not entirely a lie.  Whether they broke
as often as competing salespeople led folks to believe . . . that's another
story.

MM