breaking torsion bars

I feel compelled to add my two cents to this thread, even if it IS two cents
Canadian.

The first week of September 2000, the right torsion bar on my 1978 Newporker
broke.  I know for a fact that this car has the same bars as the 74/75
Imperial.  I can add to the theory that the bars break when the car is
sitting still because this one broke after I had just driven the car across
town (Winnipeg) and if anyone knows what Winnipeg streets are like, you
would assume that they would easily break a torsion bar but not this time.
I parked the car in the back driveway and walked into the house.  I had not
been out of the car for more than 30 seconds when I heard a loud "TANG!!"
outside.  I looked out the window and could see the right side of the car
sagging.  I also had my 77 NYB in the driveway so I could not actually see
the lower part of the car, including the tire.  I thought to myself, "Please
let it be a tire!"  I knew that the car could sag like that for one of two
reasons.  1) blown tire  2) busted t-bar.  I went outside and sure enough,
the tire was fine.  The torsion bar broke about 6 inches ahead of the rear
mount.  You can see a picture of it here, after it had been removed.
http://www.nybclub.org/bradhogg/TorsionBar/torsionbar3.jpg
I searched for about 3 weeks for a replacement.  I found that there was NOS
bars available from a guy in Florida for about $120.00 each.  I found a used
one locally for $50.00.  The ironic part about that is, about 3 weeks later,
I bought my 77 NYB for $50.00 and it eventually went to the scrapper with
both bars still in it.