1958 gas type?

Keith,

My man.  You are a trip, you know that?  You ain't even got the car yet and
you are already crazier than me!  So, anyway, here's a tip for you.  Go to
the 1958 page on the main site.  You will find all kinds of good material.

Specifically, go to

http://www.imperialclub.com/YearbyYear/1958/Popular/page5.JPG

This is the Engineer's report from an 1958 edition of Popular Mechanics.  It
goes into some detail as to the best gas to use in the 1958.  I use regular
unleaded 89 Octane in mine.  If you read the article you will find out they
specifically advise such gas, stating conclusively that you will derive no
benefit at all from using a higher octane, even if you do advance the
timing.  I have certainly found this to be the case.

In addition, I once tried to set the timing on the car "by the book" and it
was a disaster.  I know that others, whose opinion I respect very highly,
have found the same result.  The technical reason was explained here within
the last year, but I only remember feeling my real world experience had
simply been validated.  I tune mine by ear.  The car is set up for my own
driving preference.  Not being American, I am not really interested in off
the line acceleration or 0 - 60 times, which seems to be the sine qua non
for car performance in these parts.  I am a lot more interested in mid and
upper range response.  I wants power response above fifty, for overtaking,
for example.

I get acceptable MPG and power where I want it.  Can't beat that with a
stick.

Hugh
58 Imperial.