Design Issues

Otis Davidson wrote:
> 3) Power door locks in 2dr cars.

A design flaw? If you're driving and decide to pick up a friend, it's a lot
easier to touch a nearby button than reach across a six-foot-wide front
seat, especially if the center armrests are down.

When you get out to park, it's nice to be able to lock both doors before
closing yours.

And when you return, it's very nice to open your guest's door first and then
just tap the switch on the passenger-side door and walk around to your own
unlocked door.

Here's a dumb one for you! If you think flat right-side mirrors are silly,
try driving a big car with a flat MANUAL mirror way over there! It takes
about thirty trips across the front seat to get it right! (And a note to
modern car designers: how about putting the power mirror button where I can
reach it from my normal driving position, without leaning forward!)

And I used to think auto-dimming inside mirrors were dumb (like I couldn't
reach up to the mirror twice a day?) until I had one. Since the modern ones
work electrochromically (using a film that darkens gradually as current is
applied in response to the two light sensors, fore and aft), the variable
dimming effect makes them safer and more convenient as night begins to fall,
or when someone suddenly pulls in behind you with his high beams on...

Just my three cents!
Chris in LA