Compression & starting.

The thread about compression, engines and carbon build up appears quite
often on the list.   A couple of weeks ago I was watching a TV programme
about the restoration of an old de Havilland Gypsy Moth.  The interesting
part of the programme was the old aircraft's engine.  It was froze up, the
crank could not turn and to avoid any damage to the engine's pistons, rings
and liners, the cylinder head was removed (they already tried WD40 and other
penetrating oils which didn't work) and a gallon of light oil was boiled and
poured into the cylinders.  After a few hours the oil had disappeared,
lubricated the rings and the mechanic was able to turn the engine over by
hand.  Got to hand it to the flyboys for a new old trick that I'd never
heard of before.  Would it be possible to fabricate some sort of  funnel
which would do the same job without the necessity of removing the cylinder
head?   Word of caution - a gallon of boiling oil can do some serious damage
to the human body!

Dave
60 Le Baron
England