Hugh's problems

Hugh, sorry to hear about your new purchase, the Chrysler LeBaron.  These
cars have a horrible reputation in durability as they age, and I think your
old VW was a much better long term car.  Now, reputation, is just that,
reputation.  It might be true, it might not.

Now, back to our oil.  You can take it or leave it, but the multi grade is
by far the better oil, especially for the winter months (but even on a hot
summer day, a 20w40 will give much better engine protection because of what
is called "viscosity index, remember, engine lubrication is my
specialization).  I don't know off hand why the multiweight increased your
visible smoke, but keep one thing in mind: less visible smoke does not
necessarily mean better lubrication.    Clearly the engine will have to be
rebuilt in the near future.  I can see if you want drive it for a while,
and  till then, also want to avoid the embracement of a seriously smoking
car.  And at this point, it may be too late for the oil to make any
difference.  But remember, the longer you drive it, its not getting better
internally.  In fact, when an engine reaches a certain point of wear level,
the wear rate often accelerates.   I don't know where the noises are coming
from, but if they are related to bearings, I would stop driving it ASAP
before it gets worse and more expensive to fix.

D^2