Front window fix 68 convertible

It must have been a weekend of window fixing. I too
tackled my front windows with the zeal of southern
preacher but with not so fortuitous results.

The problems: The windows go up but won't go down, and
I am a lousy electrician.

Here's what I know: Motors work in both directions and
switches are getting and sending power. I noticed that
there are only two wires going to the motor, therefore
I concluded that one wire acts as power and the other
acts as ground for windows going up, and then switches
for windows going down.  From the little that I can
figure out, when the windows go up, the "other" wire
is successful as a ground, but when I push the switch
down, the motor gets power, but the "other" wire isn't
acting as a ground and therefore not completing the
circuit. Another interesting note is that it is the
same on both front windows.  So my conclusion is that
I have no idea where to go from here.  I thought about
getting the entire car rewired but the girlfriend
suggested that we pay rent instead.  Plus, the wires
are in fact sending a charge, so I think its more of a
grounding problem.  I am hoping this has been dealt
with before and some citizen of the Imp-Nation can
assist.  Fruit basket to anyone that points me in the
right direction.

Trevor
68 Imperial Crown Convertible
"Driving fast with wet dog nose prints on the window."