Power Steering pump throws belts (Was: IML - - - [blank])

Power Steering pump throws belts (Was: IML - - - [blank])

Certainly the pump can fail and bind up, and cause the belt to fail.  When
you have the belt off, turn the pulley clockwise yourself to see what it
feels like.  It should feel like you are stirring up some thick cream soup
(no lumps or crunches, in other words, but some viscous resistance).   The
resistance should increase when you try to spin it faster, but there should
be no abrupt tightening or harsh feeling to it.  If there is a problem in
your pump, you should have noticed a difficulty in steering the car - did
you?

Most good auto machine shops can arrange to rebuild your pump, or will
rebuild it themselves.  If the bearing and seals have failed, these parts
are readily available and easy to change if one has the right tools.  If the
pump gears are simply worn, they would not need to be replaced, although the
pump may not work as well as new, it will operate in a satisfactory manner
with some worn parts, so long as it does not leak.   If something has broken
inside (thus the "crunchy feeling"), you will probably have to find a
replacement pump.  There are vendors who can probably help you - perhaps
Andy Bernbaum is the easy choice.

Dick Benjamin