window in convertible

>I find this hard to believe.  First of all, glass is not a laminate,
>like say, Formica.  Is it?  I have to wonder now.  So I don't see how it
>can "delaminate" if it's not of laminated construction.  Second, it
>appears to me that the glass simply sews into place.  Third, I have a
>perfect rear window, and it's original.  I don't see the point in
>chucking it out.

I don't have any experience with Imperial converts, but I do have a '76
Caddy Eldo convertible. The rear glass on my Eldo is actually glued to the
top with some kind of super strength adhesive. I wonder if your top man is
commenting that it'll be impossible to "unglue" the glass from the old
apron, then properly reattach to the new top? After smashing the rear glass
with a folding chair that shifted positions in the trunk, I examined this
subject VERY carefully... could I perhaps just glue a piece of lexan in
place of the old window? Could I find an old rear window in a junk yard and
glue it in place?

After much careful consideration I decided that it wasn't possible (for me)
to do a quality replacement job on my own. After investigating further I
discovered that my rear glass actually lives on a separate apron that's
attached to the main glass via a zipper at the top, and riveted to the rear
glass support links on each side. The point being that the top could be
replaced, and the old glass/apron assembly could be reused if replacing the
top. This of course meant that I could replace just the apron and glass
without having to replace the entire top assy.

Again, please note that I was working with a Caddy. Imperials are certainly
somewhat different in design, but the basic concept may be similar.

Best of luck,

DD