'72 Lebaron radio questions

--- 72.lebaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The following radio is currently installed in my
> Lebaron:
> http://www.pencilneck.com/imprad.jpg
> It works on AM, but when switched to FM I can't get
> any signal. There's a
> slight buzzing from the speakers, but nothing more.

First, try jiggling the AM/FM slider switch.  If that
doesn't work, see below . . .

> Also, when examining the radio I noticed some kind
> of pigtail hanging from
> the back of the radio. It appears to have maybe six
> or eight conductors.
> Any idea what this is for?

This cable is the connector that would attach to the
optional cassette player/recorder, if your car was so
equipped (it was a pretty rare option).  There SHOULD
be a black plug/terminator plugged in to the end of
this cable.  If not, then that's why your FM won't
work.  Let me know (privately) if you need it, 'cause
I think I have an extra one tucked away somewhere.

> new stereo. Does anyone have any experience
> replacing this kind of radio
> with an after market system?

Yes, and it's actually pretty easy.  A "generic"
installation kit should provide the parts you'll need.
 With a little creativity, it can be done.  However, I
recently replaced my aftermarket stereo with an
original factory AM/FM 8 track, and I have to say that
I actually like it MUCH better.  But then again, I'm
not an audiophile, but more of a nostalgia-phile.

Good luck,

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
(3) 1971 Imperial LeBarons