the occasional rough running engine

In a message dated 5/31/2002 8:46:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, markblitman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Every once in a while my '74 imp will start running somewhat rough; not bad enough to stall,just idling rough..if a/c is on it becomes more pronounced...after a brief period, it quits and the idle smoothes out and it drives beautifully.....then it may start again,etc....

I had this problem on my '59, to the point I could see the hood wobbling from side to side, but I think my problem was my tranny fluid shooting up through the dipstick tube, and spewing out all over the spark plugs, and fowling them. Since I installed a clear hose over the dipstick tube which dumps the fluid back into the transmission, and not all over the engine, this problem has almost disappeared, and the rough idle is barely noticeable anymore. It also does not bog out like it used to before, during acceleration from a stop.
Bill '59 Crown