Hydraulic window funnies

The solenoid operation is very simple.  When it is energized, the valve is
open, permitting flow either way through it.  The valve is connected between
the pressurized lines and window raising cylinder.  The pressure is present
in the lines only when the pump is operating, and the pump is operating only
when the operator is trying to put a window up.

When the operator is trying to put the window down, the pump is not running,
but the same solenoid is operated, allowing the spring and gravity to push
the window down, exhausting the fluid back into the pressurized lines, from
whence it returns to the sump.

The system therefore has a few strange tricks.  For instance, if you are
trying to lower one window while raising another, or while adjusting the
power seat, or while operating the convertible top mechanism (if equipped),
both windows go up.

Similarly, if you are trying to lower two windows at once, and the spring
forces are not equalized between the two windows, the one with the stronger
spring will go down, and the other will go up, until the first window
bottoms out.

This also means that the control switches are quite odd.  While they look
like normal power window switches, they operate as follows:   "center" is
off, "up" puts 6 volts on both output contacts, "down" puts 6 volts on only
one contact.

If these switches get mixed up with those from an electric window car,
strange things result!

Dick Benjamin  (who owns a car with all these features, plus a power antenna
too!)