From: Mike Pittinaro
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 7:51 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 8 tracks

How many of you own Imperials from that golden age
after the hi-way hi-fi demise but before those dandy
little plastic cassette tapes solidified their
dominance for auto audio?

I'm speaking, of course, about the Age of Eight Track,
and I am proud to say that I have converted my '70s
machine (not the Imperial, but this is relevant) to
play 8 tracks through its car radio.  I installed an
NOS under-dash unit that I won for $20 from ebay, and
it sounds great!

Now, here's where this pertains to Imperial folk: I
know many of you out there have 8 tracks in your
Imperials...and, if your eight tracks are anything
like mine (ie 20-30 years old) you probably have a lot
of broken tapes.  With some practice, I've actually
"mastered" the art of 8 track repair.  Because the
tape itself is 1/4" wide, repair (something unheard of
with a 1/8" cassette tape) is quite possible.

Would anybody be interested in a service for repairing
these tapes?  I've been tossing around the idea of
contracting out my newly-acquired skill, both to earn
a little money and keep some of these neat little
audio tapes out of the dump.  I can also transfer 8
tracks to a CD, for those without an 8 track player.
Of course, its not CD quality, but I'm sure there were
MANY 8 tracks produced that were never transferred
over during the digital revolution.

Anyone interested in either or both of these services
let me know (privately).  I'm putting a feeler out
there right now, but if there's enough people out
there wanting it, I may do it.  Let me know, also,
what you think a fair price for either of these
services would be, keeping in mind too the shipping
cost.

Thanks!

--Mike Pittinaro